[Sca-cooks] FREEZING WINE......

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 11 21:46:53 PST 2002

> >>I dunno, Phlip.  I've accidentally frozen both beer
> >>and wine solid, back
> >>in the heady college days of trying to chill
> >>beverages quick-like for
> >>parties.
> >>

> > Doubt you froze them solid- if you had, the containers
> > would have broken if they were glass or aluminum- I
> > have frozen such things solid- I know ;-)
>
> Yes, they were frozen quite solid.  I think the three senior honors
> chemistry and chemical engineering students in the house were well
> qualified to identify the state of their alcohol ;)   The containers
> either popped their lids or broke.  In the case of beer, they usually
> popped their lids.  Since we were inclined to buy really cheap wine in
> college, they tended to have screw on tops and therefore the bottles broke.
>
> -Magdalena

Okay, last night I mentioned that I decided to try freezing wine
rather than just argue/discuss it.

I just went in to the kitchen and checked. Both the sherry and
the white wine were frozen. But not as a solid block such as an
ice cube. More of a hard slush. Firm, but easily broken with a
finger. If frozen in a ice cube tray and then removed and put in
a plastic bag and back in the freezer, I think they would gradually
clump together into a large blob. But the blob would probably be
scoopable with a spoon.

However, for both the frozen wine and the frozen sherry, the aroma
and alcohol was distinct. It wasn't as if the wine had seperated,
as I tried samples from the top and the bottom and both seemed to
taste more strongly of alcohol than in the liquid state. The sherry
did however taste of this stronger. The alcohol might subsume out
of the ice over time though.

Stefan

(Who wonders how come he can't get Icees and such in diet at the
convenience stores. Two or more flavors of sugared stuff. But seldom,
if ever, a diet version.)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net