[Sca-cooks] FREEZING WINE......

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 10 23:40:48 PST 2002

Avraham wrote:
> it
> > > your >>home freezer,
> >
> > Phlip.... my jr high science course.... it's coming back to me now  <intro
> > Twilight Zone music>  OK, I *knew* there was something stupid about this
> > tip.... I just couldn't put my finger on it..... thanks for the reminder.
> > Phillipa
>
> As someone else pointed out - this is true for a 40% alcohol solution (i.e.
> vodka), but not for the 10-12% solution you find in your typical wine. Wine
> will freeze very nicely at the temperatures obtained by a home freezer. I
> would suggest, however, that you remove the cubes to a Ziploc bag, then put
> that into ANOTHER Ziploc, to prevent the frozen wine from accumlating
> freezer odors.

Well, since there seemed to be some disagreement on this subject, I
decided to take the easy way out. I've filled two small plastic
refrigerator containers with some wine. One with some Sherry (18
percent alcohol) and one with some white wine (8.5 percent). I just
went in there to check on them and the white wine is frozen after
a little over two hours, although I'm not sure how solid it is. The
Sherry is still liquid. I will try to remember to check on them in
the morning and/or tomorrow night and give a another report.

This is simply a regular side by side refrigerator/freezer, although
I did put the containers in the little cubbyhole above the ice
maker which is labeled as a quick freeze section.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net