[Sca-cooks] OT- Input request from SCA BoD/politics

denterleather1 denterleather1 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 10:44:54 PST 2002

> And it is my understanding that they get very few comments.  So if you
want
> input into the selection process, you should a)comment on anyone already
> nominated that you know and b)nominate any gentles you think would be good
> folks to serve on the BoD.
>
> I objected to the idea of having the Kings select folks to be on the BoD
and
> having members actually represent Kingdoms because I fear that such an
> arrangement would make it so that the BoD would find itself no longer able
> to consider the welfare of the Society as a whole, but rather a forum for
> debates as to the interests of the various Kingdoms.

<<< The problem I see with the BoD choosing the nominated folks is that over
the years they seem to choose only those who will do exactly as they have
been doing, and how they have been doing it.  It is true that you can write
in with comments on who is being nominated, but in all the years that I have
been a member I have never seen a nominee retracted or not appointed. As far
as the BoD considering the Society as a whole I do not think they consider
much beyond what is expident for themselves. A perfect example is the rule
passed year or so ago. "A person may be banished permently for being a
danger to the Society, etc"  Making a rule that vague is a catch all for the
board or their cornies to basicly get rid of anyone.  There is no
requirement to state what the danger is or what charges are actually filed.
Also the statement that the BoD does not publish the charges because it may
lead to lible charges is BS. The only way the publishing of the charges
could result in lible is if they are untrue. So the BoD is saying we won't
say what the charges are so if we are worng we can't be sued? But if we are
wrong whatever decision we make stands? I think our BoD should fall under
the same rules of business that any orther business does in a Non profit
edu. corp. and that is all actions of the board are open to review, and the
members appointed to that board are elected by the populace (shareholders),
there is no compnay in this counrty who is permitted to have the board of
directors nominate and elect its own members. Why should ours.  The concept
that these people know what is best for the Society and will choose only
those who also know what is best to replace them is unbelieveable:)

Elric