[Sca-cooks] OT- Input request from SCA BoD/politics

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 12 22:08:37 PST 2002

Eldric said:
> Also the statement that the BoD does not publish the charges because it may
> lead to lible charges is BS. The only way the publishing of the charges
> could result in lible is if they are untrue. So the BoD is saying we won't
> say what the charges are so if we are worng we can't be sued?

While I pretty much disagree with the rest of the comments you've
made about the BoD, I do also find myself concerned about this
secrecy having to do with banishments. I am however, willing to
put it down to erring on the side of caution and perhaps rather
conservative legal advice.

The treasurer of our barony was recently given a level 3 banishment.
However, neither the Baron, nor the Kingdom Seneshal nor anyone
else will say what the banishment was about, citing these legal
precautions and SCA rules.

Since I worked hard to help put money into our group treasury, I'd
like to know how much money disappeared, if any. It makes me rather
hesitant to do anything to put more money in the treasury if it is going
to get pocketed. It may well have simply been some bad bookkeeping or
something else. But with no information to go on, and no one with the
knowledge willing to say anything, it does raise questions. A level
3 is the severest banishment that a Crown can impose. Hardly something
I think would be imposed for something minor, but certainly possible.

Unless this leads to a permanent banishment from the SCA, this
also allows the individual to go to another group and perhaps do
something similar and no one in the new area would know. Or
if the individual gets cleared by the BoD, this same secrecy allows
the doubt to remain.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net