[Sca-cooks] Everyone gone already?

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Thu Feb 14 14:50:51 PST 2002

> Didn't they do something with pancakes in Europe on Fat Tuesday?
> Seems like I remember something along those lines.
> Kiri

You're right.  This was a new one by me, but a little Googling reveals
that the "Fat" in Fat Tuesday refers to the practice of giving up fat
for Lent.  Meat, dairy & eggs are also common items to give up.

On Shrove Tuesday (aka Fat Tuesday aka Pancake Day) these items are
used up so as not to be wasted.  Lots of meat, lots of frying.
Depending on where you are in Europe, the traditional "sin food" might
be donuts, blinis, krullers, waffles, fritters, cakes (King Cakes?) --
but in England pancakes are popular.  Apparently, there's even a
pancake race in Olney, Buckinghamshire, dating from 1445 that involves
frying while running towards a church.

Lovely traditions.  I feel an A&S research paper coming on.
"Plastic Baby Jesus: Pre-Lenten Traditions in Western Europe and Their
Effects on Modern New World Celebrations".

Probably been done before, though.  Time for more research.
Iyad ibn al-Thu'ban ibn Bisharo

Northern Regional War Practice, February 23rd, 2002  (Meridies)
Get ready for Gulf Wars! $5.00 for members, includes lunch.
www.easaraigh.org/warpractice