[Sca-cooks] Looking for: recipe for marinated fresh sardines???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 14 20:23:55 PST 2002

>Hello y'all,
>
>I am in need of a recipe for marinated fresh sardine (or sardine type
>fish).  Italian, period more or less irrelevant as long as it falls within
>our realm.  I admit I haven't had the time yet to do the research, and am
>cheating to see if any of you have ideas from your bank of knowledge.
>
>I can cook something myself, but it wouldn't be period.  I'm thinking
>something along the line of poaching in white wine and/or water/vinegar,
>with onions, and other aromatic ingredients.
>
>Any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks :-)

I STR a very basic escabeche (saute, fry onions in the oil, deglaze
with wine and vinegar, or maybe just vinegar, plus whole spices, and
pour all over the fish, allow to get cold) being represented in a
late-period English source, possibly something post-period but 17th
century. It may not have used that name or indicated a Spanish (okay,
maybe Arabic) origin, but the process was described pretty
specifically and virtually identical to a modern escabeche method,
which is itself pretty old in any case.

Adamantius