[Sca-cooks] scavenger hunt game

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 08:55:55 PST 2002

Lucrezia wrote:

> 2- Give examples of illusion foods that are supposed to come out looking
> like worms.
> Two C.15th Cookbooks; Fruit hasselets is figs and dates etc fried to look
> like entrails, but worms? Never seen that one.

I've done fruit haslet and it is YUMMY.  Somewhere between fritters and Fig
Newtons, arrr Misha!

> 5- Find a recipe which uses a whole scrotal bag.
> Chicken Roll - Platina: recipe for a roll of chicken livers, whole chicken
> testicles and sour cherries (can't remember the number).
> I know we also had a conversation with Nanna and Ras about this for lamb or
> bull testicles - can't remember which, and darned if I can remember the
> recipe either!

Thanks for the tip, they sell "rooser fries" at my local Chinese supermarket.
Yah, we know where a chicken keeps his "nuggets"!  What chapter/number Platina?

> 9- Strangest recipe made with a whole fish.
> I think this is horribly fiddly and pretty odd: Stuffed pike - Sabina
> Welserin
> "Stuffed pike is made like so: Cut the pike open a little along the side,
> put a knife into it and cut out the large bones at the neck and peel the
> skin off of the pike, so that the skin remains whole. Then take the pike and
> remove the bones, chop the flesh, put milk into it and carp blood, and
> season it and stuff it again into the skin, yet the head and tail remain on
> the skin. Do not oversalt it and sew it closed again with coarse silk and
> roast it on a grill. And when it is roasted, then draw the string out
> again."

Sort of goyische gefilte fish, n'est-ce pas?

I thought Stargazey pie was Welsh, but most of my online research points to
Cornwall or Cheshire.  http://www.foodreference.com/html/fstargazypie.html

> 14- Find a recipe that excites lust.

Valhrona sweet chocolate, any variety with a chocolate proportion greater than
60%.  We've seen this in action!  ;-)

Selene, Caid