[Sca-cooks] immersion blenders

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 15 17:48:36 PST 2002

Vladimir sez:

>If I remember correctly, Blue crabs are soft shelled, and are meant to be
>eaten whole.

With respect, either it depends on what they're soft-shelled in
comparison to (i.e., rocks, etc.), or you may be remembering
incorrectly. However, what are commonly sold as "soft-shelled" crabs
in, AFAIK, most of the US, are of the blue-clawed variety, just
having moulted recently.

Soft-shelled crabs have a shell which ranges from the
almost-nonexistent membrane you find on some small shrimp, to
something on the lines of a fingernail, but blue-claw crabs, a.k.a.
blue crabs, have a shell which, when mature, is actually harder and
more brittle than most lobsters I've encountered, at least on the
claws.

Adamantius