[Sca-cooks] immersion blenders

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 15 17:53:54 PST 2002

Vladimir writes:

>Ok, now that my original post was authenticated, yes.. Blue crabs are
>soft-shelled, and eaten whole, AND if I remember correctly, no longer reach
>a hardshelled stage.  This is partially due to natural selection, when they
>were originally <and still to a certain extent I believe> crab fishing, they
>threw back all the ones with soft shells, hence, the soft shelled ones were
>surviving, created a breed of crabs with constantly soft shells.

Such a breed may exist, but blue crabs aren't it. The fact that they
can be harvested with a soft shell is due to the fact that as they
grow, they split out of their old, hard shell, with a new, soft shell
underneath. It takes a while for that new shell to harden, and if you
catch one at the right time (depending on your location, there's a
season when this phenomenon is fairly common), it can be classified
as soft-shelled. Soft-shells, a.k.a. busters, command a higher price
because they're in great demand, and can be eaten whole, with less
waste and more viable crabmeat per total ounce of crab body weight.

Adamantius