[Sca-cooks] immersion blenders

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Feb 15 14:42:52 PST 2002

> Ok, now that my original post was authenticated, yes.. Blue crabs are
> soft-shelled, and eaten whole, AND if I remember correctly, no longer
reach
> a hardshelled stage.  This is partially due to natural selection, when
they
> were originally <and still to a certain extent I believe> crab fishing,
they
> threw back all the ones with soft shells, hence, the soft shelled ones
were
> surviving, created a breed of crabs with constantly soft shells.

Sorry, not correct. Soft-shell crabs are regular crabs which have just
molted. Crabs have exoskeletons and have to shed their shells to grow; once
they do, the new tissues immediately swell with water, and the outer layer
starts to harden. Within about six hours of shedding, the new shell is hard
enough to break rather than bend, and within 24 hours, it's as hard as the
original shell.

Avraham