Gefilte fish (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Jewish Haiku)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 17 10:54:41 PST 2002

>--
>Oh yea, & ps....
>I have eaten gefillte fish the world over and it comes in many variations
>from balls to loaf to stuffed back inside the skin to slices of fish flesh
>cooked in the "gefillte mannor".
>Phillipa

Slices cooked in the gefilte manner? "Meanwhile, back at stately
Gefilte Manor..."

Can you tell us a bit about this phenom? It sounds kind of like some
of the medieval fish jellies. I would think that slices, per se, not
being chopped up, wouldn't be thought of as "gefilte" anything. Are
these slices poached in the stock made from skin, etc., then kind of
arranged on a plate and coated with the stock and chilled? Or am I
way off base here?

I've bones out various large fish and stuffed them with a
farfel-based stuffing, for Passover (steamed them in foil, as I
recall, using my host's Passover cutting boards, etc.), but I've
never seen the dish in slices before...

Adamantius