[Sca-cooks] OOP Left over Roast Beef

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 18 18:27:31 PST 2002

>Anyone got any good recipes to use up leftover (cooked) roast beef? I've got
>a good couple of pounds leftover from an event, and it's a shame to let it
>all go to waste.
>
>Avraham

I could be entirely wrong here, since my copy of the source in
question is slightly inaccessible for the moment, but doesn't Le
Menagier provide a recipe for leftover beef slices (something about
chopped parsley, it is specifically mentioned as a quick fix for when
you have a traveller arrive late in the evening)?

Slice and reheat (for my money on one side only, keeps it a bit more
tender) in a frying pan or griddle, sprinkle with verjuice or
vinegar, sprinkle with spice powder... I wish Countess Brekke were on
this list; she did this recipe for steaks of beef or venison. Could
it be Platina?

Otherwise, in no particular order or pursuit of periodicity...

Roast beef hash. Dice beef and any cold boiled potato you may happen
to have on hand (or boiled for this purpose), plus some onion. Saute
onion briefly in oil or butter, add the beef and 'taters, saute,
shaking the pan and stirring occasionally to brown evenly, then
finally let it brown like a big ol' latke, flip and brown the other
side. Good with fried eggs. (You can douse it all with ketchup but
I'd rather not know ;-)  )

Julienne and marinate the strips in a good, herby, possibly mustardy,
vinaigrette. Eat on salad greens as is, or toss with more boiled
potato chunks, cherry tomato (or other tomato), sweet pepper strips
(sorry, Phlip), cucumber, cooked green beans, boiled eggs, olives,
etc. Again, serve over dressed greens. The object of the game is to
make a fishless version (i.e. sans tuna and anchovy) of a Salade
Nicoise; this is a Salade Parisienne.

Slice and reheat or serve cold with Dijon-mustard-mayo, a quick sauce
of sour cream and horseradish, or just about anything that tastes
good and isn't a dessert...

Cottage pie... similar to a shepherd's pie but without a shepherd's
meat, pretty silly to call it that. Chop, dice, or mince, with some
sauteed onion and some gravy to moisten, maybe something obscene like
a dash of Worcestershire or other steak-saucy-stuff for the extremely
perverse. Some include carrots, diced potato, or in cases of extreme
perversity, even peas. I prefer mine on the side. Top with pastry or
mashed potatoes, brown in the oven.

HTH,
Adamantius