[Sca-cooks] GFCF diet; lactose intolerance

Andrea Gideon andrea at gideonfamily.org
Mon Feb 18 16:07:14 PST 2002

> f.  SCA wise you shouldn't have to=
> >o much trouble; just let the feast stewards know in advance!
> >
> >Kiriel

This is not always the case with gluten.  Not many people are aware of just how
pervasive it is.  At our 12th Night, I asked the cook about the stew that was
being served for lunch.  I asked if there was any gluten or wheat products in
it.  I was told that no flour or breadcrumbs was used to thicken it.  I then
discovered that it contained barley.  At another feast, again I asked about
wheat and gluten products.  I also asked if any of the dishes contained prepared
sauces.  I later discovered that one of the dishes contained Worsctershire
sauce, which contains distilled vinegar, also an illegal food.  My solution is
to not eat feast unless the cook is willing to give me all the ingrediants.
Giovanna