[Sca-cooks] OOP Left over Roast Beef

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 02:20:16 PST 2002

	I could be entirely wrong here, since my copy of the source in
	question is slightly inaccessible for the moment, but doesn't Le
	Menagier provide a recipe for leftover beef slices (something about
	chopped parsley, it is specifically mentioned as a quick fix for
when
	you have a traveller arrive late in the evening)?

	Slice and reheat (for my money on one side only, keeps it a bit more
	tender) in a frying pan or griddle, sprinkle with verjuice or
	vinegar, sprinkle with spice powder... I wish Countess Brekke were
on
	this list; she did this recipe for steaks of beef or venison. Could
	it be Platina?
	Adamantius

Yes, it's a beef soup/broth recipe. He also does a wierd kind of beef mash:

Broth with Meat Strips is made in haste at a supper where there are more
people than expected. For ten bowls, take twenty strips of the cold meat
from dinner and from the leg of beef; and let the strips be small like
slices of bacon, and fry them in fat on the fire on the griddle. Item, have
the yolks of six eggs and a little white wine, and beat them together until
you are tired, then put with meat stock and old verjuice, not new, for it
will turn: and boil it all without the meat; and then arrange in the bowls,
and in each bowl two strips of meat. Some put the broth in the bowls, and on
a dish, before four people, five meat slices and some broth with them; and
this is for when there are more people and less meat.

Again, if you have cold beef, cut it very small, then grind a little bread
dampened with verjuice and put through a strainer; put on a dish with
powdered spices on top. Heat over the coals. It is enough for three people.

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.