[Sca-cooks] guess the mistake, was RE: Chocolate chip cookies

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 07:30:43 PST 2002

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

> I agree, most of the recipes I've seen call for
> baking soda. But I
> was asking about baking powder, which I would expect
> to find more in
> cakes than in cookies.

Well, I just did an informal survey of available
chocolate chip cookie recipes, and found the
following:

This is the recipe some one gave me at the beginning
of the thread, purported to be the original Tollhouse
ChChC:

Mrs. Wakefields Original Toll House Cookie Recipe

       2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
       1 teaspoon baking soda
       1 teaspoon salt
       1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
       3/4 cup granulated sugar
       3/4 cup packed brown sugar
       1 teaspoon vanilla extract
       2 large eggs
       1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.)
       1 cup chopped nuts

       PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

       COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small
bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and
       vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until
creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after
each addition.
       Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in
morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto
ungreased
       baking sheets.

       BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire
       racks to cool completely.

       PAN COOKIE VARIATION:
       GREASE 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare
dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20
       25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan
on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

IGA baking chips (house brand of a grocery chain)
provided the following:

1 c shortening
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
3/4 c chopped nuts
2 c chocolate chips

(Similar baking instructions)

And finally, Margali, not realizing Rob had gotten me
a couple of bags of chocolate chips to play with, got
some Ghiradelli Milk chocolate chips:

2-1/4 c unsifted flour
1 t baking soda
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
2 t vanilla
2 large eggs
1 c walnuts, chopped (optional)
Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips

(Similar instructions)

So, it looks like the baking sodas have it, from my
mini-survey ;-)

Phlip, about to be up to No Good in the kitchen
today.....

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,