[Sca-cooks] Bad girls in the restaurant- was Re: soft shelled crab

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 15:53:28 PST 2002

--- Rosine <rosine at sybercom.net> wrote:

>    I once, at the hearty age of 6, requested catsup
> to put on my steak...
<snip>
>    The cook exploded so loud we could hear him in
> the dining room. The
> manager sent out for catsup.

Well, back in my youth, my grandmother "the Senator's
widow" and her friend, Miss Julia Fish (yes, THOSE
Fishes, Adamantius) took me out to luncheon downtown
in DC at our favorite seafood restaurant, a pl;ace now
moved to the suburbs, but then, one of the bastions of
Washington DC propriety, with a black wait staff of
gentlemen who had only acquired their jobs with the
strictest of references.

This particular summer day, they had acquired fresh
watermelon for dessert,and served us.

I swear Aunt Julia started it. I didn't know how to
squirt watermelon seeds through my fingers until that
day. Of course, Aunt Julia was also the lady who used
to slip me a whiskey sour or an old-fashioned at their
interminable cocktail parties....

None the less, shortly there were large numbers of
watermelon seeds in our vicinity, and the perfectly
dignified black waiters got their shots in too.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,