[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]soft shell crabs

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 16:16:44 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/19/2002 4:03:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phlip_u at yahoo.com writes:

> > >(Well, we often find bits of shell in poorly
> > cleaned lump crabmeat,
> > >especially crabcakes at restaurants.  I'm still
> > trying to figure out a
> > >polite way to remove sharp, hard bits of shell from
> > my mouth in a nice
> > >restaurant...)
> > >
> > >-Magdalena
> >
> > Bring napkin to mouth, deposit shell in napkin
> >
> > Bonne
>
> Ah, Bonne, you're much too polite ;-) Better way-
> catch servers attention, see if you can spit it into
> his eye ;-)

I once had a chef come out from the kitchen after I had returned a crabcake
because I found 5 pieces of shell, some the size of a dime, in my *first four
bites*.  His exact words were, "Well, I can't be expected to get all the
shell out".  Needless to say, I have never eaten there again.  Especially
since the tenderloin tips sandwich I got to replace the crabcake was just
that - unseasoned grilled tenderloin tips on a plain roll.  No gravy, even.

Brangwayna Morgan