[Sca-cooks] Welcome, Lady Giovanna

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 19 22:24:05 PST 2002

Giovanna said:
> I generally cook for just my family and occasionally small groups.  We usually bring period foods to events, but I haven't cooked any large feasts.  The main reason for joining the list is because we've recently had our first camp planning meeting for Pennsic.  We've decided to change our meal plan.
> Now, each couple will be responsible for at least one meal.  I have never cooked for 20, nor have I cooked over a fire.

Perhaps this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium might help:
cook-ovr-fire-msg (46K)  3/ 3/00    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cook-ovr-fire-msg.html

I just updated this file today, but it may be another week or so,
before I get the new version uploaded to the website.

> I would really like to stay period, as most of the other cooks are planning meals like chilli or stir fry, ect.

Stews can be easy to do over a fire. For a short event you can also
cook them at home, freeze them and then simply rewarm them in camp.
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stews-bruets-msg.html
chicken-msg      (155K) 11/21/01    Period and SCA chicken recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/chicken-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net