[Sca-cooks] drinks at the Rock (TM)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 20 03:01:08 PST 2002

>At 10:00 PM 2/19/2002, you wrote:
>>--
>>Good and Bourbon in the same sentance???
>>
>>Æduin who drinks red wine and the occasional single malt Scotch
>
>Aeduin, thank you for pointing that out.
>
>Muiredach, who'll drink red wine and the occasional single malt Scotch
>(where there is occasion at every turn of the road to hit the malt, but
>minding the fact that the malt *will* hit back!)

I've actually seen good bourbon. In other words, in the sets of [all
things that are bourbon] and [all things that are good] -- a common,
intersecting subset of [good bourbon]. Amazing as that sounds...

I suspect it's like hamburgers. There're a lot of them out there, and
mostly they're done by and for people and reasons which have nothing
to do with quality. That said, you still occasionally run across a
good one in the vast sea of at-most-mediocrity.

I also think it's an acquired taste. Even good Scotch tends to cause
non-initiates to choke a bit in the first few sips. But then few
people are taught from the beginning to sip whiskey properly. I'm
relatively lucky in that, at an early (but more or less legal)
drinking age an older friend actually took me aside and said,
essentially, "Hey, this is good stuff, but you need to treat it with
respect if you want to reap the benefits..."

Puck often has been known to have good bourbon on hand. Can I cite a
brand? Of course not! I'll ask him.

Adamantius