OT: Re: [Sca-cooks] Bad girls in the restaurant- was Re:soft shelled crab

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 20 13:35:41 PST 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> >On the topic of Wodehouse, anyone else long to try Anatole's dinners?
> >Me, I just want to see what's behind the green baize door and go play in
> >their kitchens.
>
> Ooh! Ooh! Did you ever see the Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie BBC
> adaptations covering the events of the novel "Right-Ho, Jeeves"?
> There were a lot of Anatole scenes, some of which were actually not
> in the novel. He was cast and portrayed, for practical purposes, as a
> sort of comic Escoffier.

See it?  I have the DVD's, great stuff old bean and all that.

> Sadly, though, I think a lot of the actual culinary terms are made-up
> ones, which probably not only comments on Wodehouse's interest in and
> knowledge of classical French cookery, but Bertie Wooster's
> comprehension of it as well, except as an appreciative audience and
> consumer. The most detailed menu I recall is the one where Bertie is
> waiting to discover if, or for how long, he'll end up in chokey for
> the theft of Constable Oates' helmet (at least I _think_ that was
> it), and he's outlining the menu for his victorious get-out-of-jail
> dinner. I must look for "The Code of the Woosters"; it was always my
> favorite, and then we could get a look at that menu.
>
> Adamantius

I think I have a Mostly Complete Works of the Woodhousing sort, will check
the tab. of cont. for a story by that name.  If PC can make up culinary
details filtered through old Bertie's peepers, we can jolly well decode them,
nespa?  Toodly-Pip!

Selene