OT: Re: [Sca-cooks] Bad girls in the restaurant- was Re: soft shelled crab

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 19 20:33:41 PST 2002

>Surely you don't mean Lady Julia Fish, the daughter of the ninth Earl of
>Emsworth?

I thought Lady Julia was was the _sister_ of The earl of Emsworth.
Surely, if she were his daughter, she'd be Lady Julia Threepwood.
Julia is the relict of the late Colonel Horace Fish, and the mother
of Ronnie Fish, he affianced to Sue Brown, the ex-chorus-girl and
possible daughter of Galahad Threepwood.

>On the topic of Wodehouse, anyone else long to try Anatole's dinners?
>Me, I just want to see what's behind the green baize door and go play in
>their kitchens.

Ooh! Ooh! Did you ever see the Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie BBC
adaptations covering the events of the novel "Right-Ho, Jeeves"?
There were a lot of Anatole scenes, some of which were actually not
in the novel. He was cast and portrayed, for practical purposes, as a
sort of comic Escoffier.

Sadly, though, I think a lot of the actual culinary terms are made-up
ones, which probably not only comments on Wodehouse's interest in and
knowledge of classical French cookery, but Bertie Wooster's
comprehension of it as well, except as an appreciative audience and
consumer. The most detailed menu I recall is the one where Bertie is
waiting to discover if, or for how long, he'll end up in chokey for
the theft of Constable Oates' helmet (at least I _think_ that was
it), and he's outlining the menu for his victorious get-out-of-jail
dinner. I must look for "The Code of the Woosters"; it was always my
favorite, and then we could get a look at that menu.

Adamantius