[Sca-cooks] Korean food (Was: HOW YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN ...)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 21 07:46:47 PST 2002

Also sprach Corwyn:

>She corrected me saying that they never actually ATE the dog, just made broth
>from it.... I'm pretty sure my native ancestors ate the dog. Seems a terrible
>waste though.... I wouldn't make broth out of what I wasn't willing to eat
>personally.

More importantly, perhaps, is if the broth is being made for a
medicinal purpose, or even under many other circumstances, you get a
good stock by extracting almost _all_ of the flavor from the solids.
I know some people like to boil chicken parts for soup and then
include the meat, but in a really fine stock this is usually pretty
pointless.

There's a cute dog-eating scene in one of the Jet Li "Once Upon a
Time In China" movies (and Li is playing, among many, many actors who
portrayed this person, Wong Fei-hung, late Qing Dynasty Republican
revolutionary, buddy of Dr. Sun Yat Sen, and ancestor of my wife).

"We all love dogs in our own way!"

Adamantius