[Sca-cooks] Andouille Sausage?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 07:51:56 PST 2002

--- Maggie MacDonald <maggie5 at cox.net> wrote:
> While reading through lots of fantastic online
> resources in preparation for
> an al fresco banquet that I'll be doing in June, I
> found a reference to
> andouille sausage in "Du Fait de Cuisine".
>
> All they mention is how it was served, what it was
> served with, etc.
>
> I am curious, how would an andouille sausage of that
> period been spiced?

The first time I heard of Andouille, it was from Chef
Paul Prudhomme, in one of his earlier cookbooks- as I
remember, he included a recipe so you could make your
own. Yes, I'm quite aware that Prudhomme's not
particularly period ;-), but I was thinking that
reading his recipe might at least give you an idea of
what the spicings that make it Andouille, and not,
say, Hot Italian, might be.

Cajuns are Arcadians, and much of their cookery
retains many traditional elements, so looking in that
direction might help you get more of a grasp of what
you're dealing with, although I'm certainly not
suggesting that you find a recipe and try to
back-document it ;-)

As I remember, one of the things supposed to make
Andouille what it is, is that it is made of seasoned
ham- perhaps, ham scraps put into sausage, as another
way to use them up? Cajuns do NOT waste food.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,