[Sca-cooks] raised crusts

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 08:55:11 PST 2002

--- "Cindy M. Renfrow" <cindy at thousandeggs.com> wrote:
> Hello!  I just got a copy of "Eat, Drink & be Merry"
> (thank you, Devra!)
> with all those marvelous pictures of re-created
> dinners.
>
> I want to make one of Robert May's elaborate raised
> hot water crust pies.
> The recipe (p.211) calls for 3 quarts flour, 3/4 lb
> butter, and an
> unspecified amount of water. When cold, this is
> supposed to be a very
> strong & sturdy dough that can be easily shaped &
> will hold an edge without
> slumping.
>
> My questions are: Does anyone know how much water is
> best to use for this?
> What adjustment should be made for the difference in
> flours? (I'm using
> all-purpose flour.) How much should I work it while
> it's hot?

My (admittedly limited) experience with pie crusts has
been that one adds the water until you get the texture
you want, which will vary according to what flour
you're using, the day's temperature and humidity, and
the mood your next door neighbor's cousin's aunt is in
;-) which is why most recipes won't specify an exact
amount (also goes the other way, when adding flour to
the liquid ingredients). If, as is implied by your
posting, the water is added hot, a pot of hot water on
the stove and a soup ladle would be part of my set-up.

As far as working it while it's hot, you're dealing
with the gluten development, which is much more Bear's
field of knowledge, but it is my understanding and
experience that minimal working of the dough is much
more important when you're trying for a flaky tender
crust, than if you're trying for what this appears to
be, a rather stiff crust amenable to firm shaping, so
minimal working would be less important. In fact,
moderate to longer working might be helpful in making
the dough stiffer.

Bear, your thoughts?

Phlip

=====