[Sca-cooks] OOP Re: guess the mistake, was RE: Chocolate chip cookies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 21 12:32:45 PST 2002

>Yes, it does! Well, not exactly on its own, I guess, with sour milk or
>buttermilk - I think it needs the acid. But not needing baking powder.
>
>Ever had Soda bread? I mean the real stuff, with flour, buttermilk,
>salt, and soda only? Not exactly a light bread, but it certainly does rise!

Yes, it does. In the presence of an acid (sour milk, frequently, in
Ireland). The combination equates to baking powder, which contains
its own acid. However, without the acid, as in many cookie recipes,
it doesn't do much, therefore it's fairly safe to assume it is there
for some other purpose.

In some cases, baking soda with molasses, which, I believe, has a
slightly acid pH, might be enough to leaven something like
gingerbread.

Adamantius