[Sca-cooks] OOP Fu Fu flour

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Thu Feb 21 13:34:35 PST 2002

> a fellow ... was purchasing goat meat and boxes of Fu Fu flour.
> Turns out it's plantain flour and it makes something that's served
> with the goat stew.
> Olwen

Hm.  Sounds suspiciously Caribbean.  That's only because I, two
weekends ago, had Curried Goat with peas-n-rice, fried plantains & two
bottles of Ting at Negril Negril, a wonderful Jamaican shop outside
Ft. Campbell KY.

Let's test this little theory ...

Giving "fufu flour" to the One Source of All Things Good and Pure
(www.google.com) yields that Fufu flour is an African product.  I
can't yet tell if it's a brand name or a type of flour.

It seems to be made from any and all of the following dehydrated,
ground things: tubers of the elephant's ear plant, yam, cassava,
potato, plantain, semolina, rice.

"Fufu (Foo-foo, Foufou, or Foutou) is to Western and Central Africa
cooking what mashed potatoes are to traditional European-American
cooking." -- http://www.congocookbook.com/c0042.html

A type of flour to make a staple starch dish, it seems.  I was close,
at least -- Caribbean cooking being heavily influenced by African
cooking.

Iyad

Could go for a bottle of Ting right about now.  I'd settle for a
Citra.  Soda machine ahoy!