[Sca-cooks] OOP Fu Fu flour

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 13:24:50 PST 2002

--- Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was just at the International Market and was
> talking with a fellow who was
> purchasing goat meat and boxes of Fu Fu flour.  I
> laughed because when I
> went with a friend the other day we had a giggle
> about the name.  Turns out
> it's plantain flour and it makes something that's
> served with the goat stew.
>   Anyone ever use it?  I'm dying to give it a try.
> Olwen

Yeah- found it when I was taking a class in
Sub-Saharan Anthropology. Prof gave us a list of
African foodstuffs and artifacts from SSA to find for
extra credit, and just for fun, I found everything on
the list ;-)

Fufu flour is usually, from the recipes he gave us (we
also were asked to choose a recipe and cook it for a
particular class- anyone surprised I copped one of
each? ;-) used to make a flat bread, much like a taco
or such, and in this context, I would assume it was
being used to scoop the stew out of bowls.

Think it also has thickening qualities like most
flours, but I don't have the recipes handy, so I can't
help much beyond that.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,