[Sca-cooks] raised crusts

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Feb 22 14:15:50 PST 2002

> Bear already responded to this, but maybe I can add something.
> There's a an English sorta-proverb/rule-of-thumb connected with
> making tea, which says, essentially, "never bring the kettle to the
> pot, always bring the pot to the kettle." The kettle being the
> utensil for boiling the water, the pot being what you infuse your tea
> in. The object of the game is to have the water as hot as possible,
> so you don't take the kettle off the flame and carry it to where the
> pot is (across the room, perhaps?), because the water is noticeably
> cooler when you do it that way. Rather, you bring the pot containing
> the tea to where the kettle is, again, because the kettle cools off
> quickly.

Furthermore (and I don't know whether this has ANY real relevance here),
when you boil water, most of the dissolved gasses are driven out of it,
which may slightly change its taste and properties. For instance,
boiled-and-cooled water will freeze faster (and clearer) than
fresh-from-the-tap water at the same starting temperature - a nice trick to
know if you get possessed by the spirit of Martha Stewart and decide you
need crystal clear ice cubes.

Avraham