[Sca-cooks] Re: rice with orange juice, was Lemonwhyt?

margaret m.p.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 22 20:30:06 PST 2002

 Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net> wrote:

 Speaking of which, one of my local asian groceries
 sells light-brownish
 cane sugar in blocks.  I bought some the other
 night, and will
 experiment with it soonish.  Looks like it'd be a
 good way to take sugar
 camping -- no jar required, and won't clump up in
 humid weather.  All
 you need is a knife to scrape it with (I hope).

Well, we had some to play with, so I checked, and yes,
it does scrape off fairly easily with a knife, but
it's slow- I'd guess about 20 scrapes or so to a
teaspoon.

There were specific tools made for pinching off sugar-
I think someone posted a site for them- Johan and I
have been discussing forging them, and they don't look
like they'd be very difficult- basicly a modified
plier.

Something I have used in the past that worked well was a small rasp. You
might want to buy one and keep it in the kitchen. Margarite