[Sca-cooks] Re: was (rice with currants) now with redaction!

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 24 07:28:50 PST 2002

Greetings,

I took a swing at this last night and had some interesting results.
My first crack was:
1 Cup
3 1/2 Cups of whole milk
1teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon canell
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 egg yolks (large)
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (actually about 3 cranks, but how
does one measure that?)
3/4 Cup orange juice

When I make it again I am going to adjust to the below based on the taste
test:
1 Cup minus 2 Tablespoons of uncooked rice (simply too much rice for the
shell, I ended up with some down the drain)
3 1/2 Cups of whole milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (maybe even less - it was very agressive)
1 teaspoon canell
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 egg yolks (large)
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (actually about 3 cranks, but how
does one measure that?)
1 Cup orange juice (or more, there wasn't enough orange flavor for me, but I
am afraid it might get too soupy)

Bake @ 350F for 1 hour 20 min.

I overcooked the rice, next time I am going to cook it just to al dente
because it continues to cook in the pie & I would like to have a bit more
rice texture than what I started out with.

Any thoughts? Is this what this list is for?

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva