[Sca-cooks] Sotelties help

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 24 10:34:44 PST 2002

Start with the Florilegium files on sweet and
decorated foods. That will give you the text
and instructions. Also check the articles in
the T.I. index. Some of those are on-line too.
and see the article SUGAR PASTE: A Cook's "Play Dough"
By Elise Fleming
 at:
http://www.netcolony.com/arts/mkcooks/sugarpasteacooksplaydough.html
 Florilegium files are at:
 the section on sweet and decorated foods
 in http://www.florilegium.org/

For books-- see if you can find a copy of
Peter Brears All the King's Cooks which came out
of Souvenir Press in London, 1999. It has photos, recipes
and instructions of recreated Tudor sotelties.
The entry is as follows:
All the King's Cooks: The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at
Hampton Court Palace. Peter Brears
Publication Date: November 1999
Publisher: Souvenir Press Ltd
ISBN:0-285-63533-6 Trade Cloth
illustrated  Pages: 192
Price: £ 18.99 (BPS)

  The other cool one that has good pictures and
recreated desserts and banquets is:
Eat, Drink & Be Merry: British at Table, 1600-2000
  Contributor:    Ivan Day (Editor)
  Publication Date:  February 2000
  Publisher: Philip Wilson Publishers, Limited
  ISBN: 0-85667-519-9 Trade Cloth
  illustrated   Pages: 168 [19.95 British pounds]
  Price:  $37.50 Retail (Antique Collectors' Club)
  Jacket Description:
  "This illustrated book, which accompanies the touring exhibition Eat,
   Drink & Be Merry, traces the evolution of our national meals through
   an exploration of English paintings. Works by masters such as Van
   Aken, Zoffany and Vanessa Bell provide convincing proof that the
   food of the past gives us a keen insight into the social life of our
   ancestors. Authentic re-creations of period meal settings and
   decorative art objects associated with the table complete the
   picture, offering a rare glimpse into the eating habits of British
men
   and women from the reign of Elizabeth I to that of Elizabeth
   II."--BOOK JACKET.

These are both English publications which may make them more available.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

 Greetings All>