sticking eggs, was Re: [Sca-cooks] How long do eggs keep?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Feb 25 06:14:02 PST 2002

On 23 Feb 2002 letrada at yahoo.com wrote:

> I've read that but it doesn't seem to work very well for me (but the quick cooling does keep the yolk from turning green).  The best technique I've found is to peel them under running water and not try to break off too big a chunk of shell at a time.  Hold them with the already peeled part up, so the water gets between the egg and shell.  It's still a pain getting the egg "started" but once you get inside that membrane you can keep the whole egg in one piece as long as you don't hurry.

I've found the best way to peel an egg without having membrane and shell
stuck to it is to bash the egg all over its surface on the counter or some
other hard flat surface so that the shell is broken into teeny
pieces. Then the membrane will hold them together and the shell will come
off fairly smoothly. Peeling it under running water also works, and
peeling it hot is really useful, but bashing it has always worked for me.

Margaret, who keeps a pencil in the junk drawer to mark the hard-boiled
eggs with