sticking eggs, was Re: [Sca-cooks] How long do eggs keep?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:44:54 PST 2002

>--- letrada at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I've read that but it doesn't seem to work very well
> > for me (but the quick cooling does keep the yolk
> > from turning green).  The best technique I've found
> > is to peel them under running water and not try to
> > break off too big a chunk of shell at a time.  Hold
> > them with the already peeled part up, so the water
> > gets between the egg and shell.  It's still a pain
> > getting the egg "started" but once you get inside
> > that membrane you can keep the whole egg in one
> > piece as long as you don't hurry.
>
>You may not be hitting them with enough cold water-
>think, run the pot under the bathtub tap, and let the
>COLD water run for a while. There's a lot of heat to
>dissipate, and, much like in smithing, where you keep
>the steel moving in the slack tub when you're doing a
>chill-down to prevent hot spots, you can't let the
>eggs just sit in cold water, because the warmer spots
>of water will stay put and heat up in place unless the
>water is agitated. Depending on your home water set
>up, you might also need to run the water for a bit to
>get and keep it cold enough.
>
>Somewhat more chary of perhaps limited water supplies,
>is to quickly get the eggs into an icewater bath, and
>stirring constantly throughout. Pasta strainers work
>well for this method ;-)
>
>Phlip

The fresher the egg the harder to peel.  Also altitude has something to do
with it.  I have tried again and again to make my apple eggs at Pennsic.  I
even bring my own eggs from home!  Last year we managed to get a few ragged
looking ones but it was a pain and a frustration.  They just will not peel
smoothly there no matter what I do.
Olwen