[Sca-cooks] Heralds

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 12:03:57 PST 2002

--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I know you know at least one herald who will try to
> answer your questions in
> an intelligible fashion.......
>
> Kiri
> Former Triton PH of Atlantia

Kiri, you aren't a Herald, you're a Friend ;-) You
recognize it when my eyes glaze over ;-)

See, the thing is, Heralds try to be helpful, but they
tend to want to be too helpful. As an example, if I
were to ask most of them, "What does enfimbrilated
mean?" Instead of a short answer, I seem to get
answers which include the history of the term, and
alternative spellings, descriptions of graphic
representations of flames going back to Ancient Egypt,
various European Houses which used it in their arms,
the particular preferences of the Herald speaking
regarding either, in their opinion, the excessive
liberality, or the excessive conservativism, of the
SCA default, and at the end of an hour I so,, I have
MAYBE managed to figure out, that it might have
something to do with flames. I suspect I might get as
much, if not more, by going to a Greek website, and
looking at the (captionless) pictures....

Not that I have any objection to Heralds- they provide
wonderful services, in my opinion- among other things,
they keep each other busy with totally
incomprehensible puns, which keeps the rest of us
safely out of their clutches, most of the time....

How many Heralds does it take to change a lightbulb?
None- Heralds don't do metal on metal.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,