[Sca-cooks] Big Eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 25 23:21:08 PST 2002

Akim asked:
> Does anyone have any period recipes for ostrich
> eggs?  I thought about even making up a traditional southern deviled egg (one)
> for giggles at head table some event.  Surely these were known as oddities in
> period from Roman ventures into Africa, but I have never seen any
> documentation.

I checked and I don't have any info on period recipes for ostrich eggs.
However, there are several recipes, including two Roman ones for
ostrich meat in this file in the Florilegium:
exotic-meats-msg  (75K)  2/18/02    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/exotic-meats-msg.html

> I also will have available a whole emu to butcher possibly
> soon and wonder if anyone has ever heard of serving a whole roast "roc" at a
> feast?  I would imagine it would not be an easy task to prepare and cook.

Although not period recipes, there are several recipes using emu meat
in the above file. And one, from Ras, is about using emu meat to
create a roast 'roc'.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net