[Sca-cooks] Big Eggs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Feb 26 06:37:23 PST 2002

> eggs?  I thought about even making up a traditional southern deviled egg (one)
> for giggles at head table some event.  Surely these were known as oddities in
> period from Roman ventures into Africa, but I have never seen any
> documentation.

There's some docs about preserved ostrich egg shells in period in _An Egg
at Easter: A folklore study_ by Venetia Newall. Not a very up to date
source, but you take what you can get when it comes to having someone else
compile the references for you!

>I also will have available a whole emu to butcher possibly
> soon and wonder if anyone has ever heard of serving a whole roast "roc" at a
> feast?  I would imagine it would not be an easy task to prepare and cook.

Ras did it.
It took a long time.
Many of his aquaintances subsequently still believe that emu is period for
the middle east. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa