[Sca-cooks] Lots of pickles

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 26 03:38:37 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Anne said:
>>  And last summer I made "summer pickles" i.e. fermented
>>  pickles, in a crock, for the first time. Very good!
>
>We've talked about fermented food previously, but I think dairy
>stuff and sauerkraut, fish and such. I don't remember anyone
>mentioning fermented cucumbers before. More details, please. And
>does anyone know if these would be period?

There are a fair number of 17th-century cucumber pickle recipes, I
believe. It seems reasonably likely they would have been done prior
to that. And then there's the German recipe in (I think) Ein Buoch
Von Guter Spise that uses something very much like the
wine/vinegar/honey/mustard pickle found in the 14th century English
compost recipes, as, effectively, a salad dressing/pickle for
cucumbers or, I think, beets. At least I think it mentions
cucumbers...

Adamantius