[Sca-cooks] Tea water, was raised crusts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 26 03:57:44 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius commented:
>>  Of course, if it's too strong, you _can_ always add some rancid
>>yak butter...
>
>Hmmm. This is the second time in the last few days that you've
>mentioned this "rancid yak butter". Perhaps this is the next
>chic food item like Buffalo Chicken Wings or fajitas or lobster.
>
>Where would I find this item?

Tibet and, I believe, Mongolia. Actually buttered black tea is
_extremely_ invigorating on a freezing day, but I assume what I have
had in Tibetan restaurants was more like ordinary cow's milk butter,
probably unsalted. The real McCoy, though, is made with yak butter,
which, for preference, is used slightly rancid.

However, I confess I'm playing on xenophobia to make a point. I
really despise milk in tea... I would much rather have tea in the
Chinese model, generally made at a reasonable strength from the
start, rather than being calculated to peel the enamel from the
teeth, and then cut with various adulterants.

Adamantius