[Sca-cooks] Lots of pickles

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:57:12 PST 2002

>Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>Anne said:
>>>  And last summer I made "summer pickles" i.e. fermented
>>>  pickles, in a crock, for the first time. Very good!
>>
>>We've talked about fermented food previously, but I think dairy
>>stuff and sauerkraut, fish and such. I don't remember anyone
>>mentioning fermented cucumbers before. More details, please. And
>>does anyone know if these would be period?
>
>There are a fair number of 17th-century cucumber pickle recipes, I
>believe. It seems reasonably likely they would have been done prior
>to that. And then there's the German recipe in (I think) Ein Buoch
>Von Guter Spise that uses something very much like the
>wine/vinegar/honey/mustard pickle found in the 14th century English
>compost recipes, as, effectively, a salad dressing/pickle for
>cucumbers or, I think, beets. At least I think it mentions
>cucumbers...
>
>Adamantius

The recipe from Von Guter Spise is my very favorite.  I have found though
that making it as close as possible to the actual event time is best.  It
tends to get really really really strong and have quite a bite after a
couple of days.  I have made a couple of modifications to mine from the
original recipe.  Instead of peppercorns I use cubebs (only because I don't
use pepper at home, I use cubebs, so I didn't have pepper) and lacking white
or wine vinegar I use(d) champaine vinegar although I have made it with
other kinds.  We served this at Baronial Birthday and it was very well
recieved.
Olwen