[Sca-cooks] re: recipes was lots of pickles

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 10:03:10 PST 2002

Arti wrote:

> On the same sort of subject, I caught "A Cooks Tour" in Russia (I HATE that
> man, but the show was sort of interesting) on Foodtv.  He was in a real
> touristy area, and the first thing he was given to eat was like, five
> different pickled sort of items.  How period is this?  Since I know zip
> about Russia and russian cusine, I was thinking that perhaps it might be
> period...with the blinie (excuse my spelling).  Anyone hav any comments on
> this?  Is it?

According to the show description from FOODTV.com:

"A Cook's Tour
The Cook Who Came In From the Cold  [next airdate: Tues. 10:30 p.m. ET/PT]
In this episode:
Growing up in the Cold War, Tony
secretly longed to be a spy. Now, he
has to settle for a guided tour of St.
Petersburg. Zamir shows him the best
blini and borscht in town, and the
braised reindeer and pickled salad. A
homecooked dumpling ends the day.

This all sounds feasible enough.  They don't include recipes, but these are all
basic foods that don't depend on post-Columbus ingredients [tomatoes, etc.]
I'll try to watch or tape it tonight.

An examination of the Russian Food topic in the Flory-thingie says that period
sources are rare.  I've really got to bite the bullet and get my own copy of
the translation of "The Domostroi : rules for Russian households in the time
of  Ivan the Terrible" in order to be able to answer this kind of question.

Selene, Caid