[Sca-cooks] Re: Meat was Question from a newbie

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 27 05:01:58 PST 2002

While there is a lot of information on sausages, there is very little on the
origin of sausages.  The surveys of culinary history skirt the issue.

They were popular in Rome during the 1st Century.  Petronius describes a pig
stuffed with sausages, Martial praises Lucanian sausages with white polenta,
and Apicius provides recipes. Earlier than the 1st Century is mostly
speculation.

I tend to believe sausages have been around a long time.  The basic
ingredient is salted meat, so it will come after salt preservation (which is
at least 5000 to 6000 years old).  Packing the meat in intestines tied off
in short lengths suggests that it may have originally been a travel food for
individuals.  It's just the thing for a Late Bronze Age traveller.

Now that you've piqued my curiousity, I wonder what odd references to
sausages will start popping up in my reading.  Maybe I can find enough to
turn it into a Cooking With Bear column.

Thanks for the idea.

Bear