[Sca-cooks] OT Heralds

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 28 04:34:11 PST 2002

Speaking as a 30-year bureaucratic, you are talking lemons and oranges.

Bureaucracy is instituted to provide span of control for a ruler or
governing body, who establish a set of directives and regulations to place
limits on the actions, authority and responsibility of the subordinate
organization and provide accountability to the superior.  The bureaucratic
organization may create internal policies and regulations in keeping with
their mandate to permit them to achieve the goals directed by their rulers.
That which is prohibited may not be done.  That which is directed must be
done.  Everything else which falls with in the scope of the bureaucratic
mandate may be interpeted within the the established rules.  As Stefan
points out, the officer should not violate the limitations and directives
placed upon them.

To achieve the goals set, the bureaucrat may use any lawful means which are
permitted; strict enforcement of the rules, facilitation, mediation, etc.
'Lanie's point is where the objective is to provide a service, helping
people to understand and meet the requirements is a valid and successful
method of enforcing the bureaucratic mandate.

The proper bureaucrat tries to find a way to meet both of these points of
view simultaneously.  It can be difficult, but it is usually worth the
effort.

Bear