[Sca-cooks] Dried meat in period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 28 18:15:52 PST 2002

Also sprach david friedman:
>>While I tend to agree with Brangwayna, have you
>>considered dried meat, like jerky?

>>Phlip
>
>To bring this back to questions of historical cookery ...  .
>
>What information do we have on the use of dried meat in period?
>Stockfish was certainly common. Anything closer?

The Magyars are thought to have used a form of dried meat, beef or
even horsemeat, and it is rumored (let's just say I don't have access
to a primary source) that the original gulyas was a sort of pocket
soup, more or less a meat stew cooked until the liquid was almost
completely dried, and the meat mostly dried, too. It was then
finished by drying under the sun and in the wind. Presumably it could
be reconstituted for eating, but I suspect it could be chewed on
without further moistening or cooking.

And I could swear there was an Islamic dried beef recipe referred to
on this list...

And then, of course, we have the old standbys of dryish hams being
eaten without further cooking, and sausages, including the
smoke-dried Polonian sausages (English kielbasa) mentioned by Hugh
Plat.

Adamantius