[Sca-cooks] Vegetarians

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 1 08:09:28 PST 2002

Dumb but utterly not-intended-to-be-confrontational vegetarian question:
I was seated at a feast with someone who wouldn't eat the lentil dish
because it was served with the sausages touching part of the mound of
lentils. I was aware that observant or semi-observant Jews generally don't
eat even kosher food that has been touched by food that is tref, but I
wasn't aware that this was a problem with vegetarians. Is this common
among vegetarians or was I sitting next to someone who was unusual?

I know that for people with allergy situations not having the food 'touch
one another' is a good thing but it does make arranging platters difficult
(I have noticed more people complaining that their food is not
attractively arranged lately.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa