[Sca-cooks] Fw: Cheese Type?

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Jan 1 18:13:55 PST 2002

> Alys Katharine asked:
> >What other type of soft cheese might have been available rather than
using
> cream cheese?   What about ricotta?  <

earlier I wrote:
I don't know.  "Good, soft cheese, not too old"    I had thought curd type
cheese as being too "new" so cottage, farmers & ricotta is too new.  And as
I had said, I was thinking of a soft smooth blandish cheese.<

    Well I spent the afternon reading through the Flori-thingy.  {not just
for cheese}  Commericially, there doesn't seem to be anything akin to  the
cheese wanted for this recipe.  I didn't recognize any thing mentioned in a
list someone had done for "medieval cheeses"  that was soft, bland, "not too
old."    So, unless I get some homemade "cream" cheese, I guess my best
options are Neufetchel /cream cheese.

    This is not to say I'm finished looking for a better alternative.   BTW
what is Master A using  -- or anyone else who is participating in the
Redaction Challenge?

     Caointiarn