[Sca-cooks] snails

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 1 13:29:40 PST 2002

Olwen asked:
> OHMYGOD..ROTFLMAO..when we were at Restaruant Depot last Saturday
> Morningstar found a bag of snail shells and kept trying to convince me to
> buy them and make marzipan snails for them to whit I conceeded the idea was
> brilliant but not for this feast.  There is no way I can imagine they would
> be found in 14th century Florence is there?  That is our next feast.

I'm not sure about 14th century Florence, but you might check out
this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
snails-msg        (13K)  8/30/00    Eating of snails in period. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/snails-msg.html

There are referances in there to snail recipes in Apicius, so Florence
doesn't sound unlikely.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net