[Sca-cooks] period sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 1 21:53:04 PST 2002

=C6thelw=FClf asked:
>    According to the More skilled and vastily superior Laurel
>     person the only sugar available to the noble households
>    of the 12-14th century were Date and Beet Sugars,my unskilled
>    and poorly read self believe that cane sugar was available
>     to them,mostly as a "medicinal" yet also in food-stuffs
>    preperation.
>   May I ask for suggestons on where to find documentation
>    on Cane sugar,if it was used,and how was used in Medieval cookery.

Beet sugar??? Ask this person for the documentation on this being
period. I *really* want to see this. From what has been discussed
here previously, beet sugar extraction requires a methodology that
was not developed until the late 18th, early 19th century.

Date sugar appears to be used at most in some parts of the Middle
East but I don't remember any evidence of it being used in Europe
and certainly not northern Europe. Cane sugar was available in Europe,
but more as a medicinal and in small quantities. Honey was one of the
prime period sweeteners and you can trace a gradual switch from honey
to sugar in some recipes as time progresses and sugar became more
available and cheaper.

For referances, check these files in the FOOD-SWEET section of the
Florilegium:
honey-msg          (8K) 11/21/00    Period use of honey. Honey sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/honey-msg.html
sugar-msg        (107K)  6/13/01    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-msg.html

As for uses in period cooking, and this is mostly late period stuff,
not medieval, check some of the other files in this section.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net