[Sca-cooks] Re: Truffle oil and Edamame

Wolfe Evernham wevernham at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 3 08:41:59 PST 2002

> >The problem was it then tasted like truffles, the oil completely
> > >overpowered any other flavor.
> >So my question is to all you good gentles.  Have you ever used truffle
> > >oil?=
> >  What on and in what amount?  Having paid so much for the experience
> > >would like to make the best of it.  But it is so overpowering I am
> > >stumped.
> >Helewyse de Birkestad
>
> Ming Tsai used it on some dumplings made with Edame.  I bought some of that
> oil too to try it.  But I don't think I wrote down the recipe...but here is
> what I remember of it (I'm pretty good with asian recipes, so I didn't
> bother going after the recipe...tho I might have it somewhere).
>
> Take Edame (about 3 cups or so), boiled in salty water.  Remove once tender.
>   Shell them and place in food processor.  Add a dash (maybe a tablespoon or
> so) of truffle oil.  Process it until it is smooth, paste like consistency.
> Taste to make sure it doesn't need any salt or anything like that.  Make or
> buy wonton skins, put spoonful into skin, close with egg wash on edges and
> place in boiling water.
>
> It should work...the recipe might still be on the Foodtv.com website too.
>
> Hopefully this helped.
>
> --Arte
>

> This is the recipe from the food network website.

Wolfe

Edamame Dumplings:
                2 cups edamames (may substitute English peas),
                reserve 1/4 cup, for garnish
                1 cup tightly packed spinach leaves
                1/4 cup cold, chopped butter
                1/2 tablespoon truffle oil
                2 tablespoons chopped chives
                Salt and black pepper
                1 package thin, square wonton skins
                Egg wash (1 egg lightly beaten with 1/4 cup cold
                water)

                In a pot of salted water, boil the edamames until soft,
                about 15 minutes. During the last 2 minutes, add the
                spinach, to wilt.

                Strain well and add to a food processor. Puree until
                smooth. Add the butter and only pulse. You want small
                pieces of butter in the mousse.

                Fold in truffle oil and chives, and season. Place in
                refrigerator until chilled through.

                To make the dumplings, lay out 4 wonton skins at a
                time, and spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of mousse on
                each. Brush on egg wash on the edges and fold in half
                to form a triangle. Fold left tip of triangle underneath

                to attach to right tip (like a tortellini). Repeat and
                make 24 dumplings total. Reserve in the refrigerator.

                In a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water, add
                dumplings and cook for 3 minutes. Serve
                immediately.

                Yield: 8 servings
                Prep Time: 40 minutes