[Sca-cooks] More ...thoughts...

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 20:17:10 PST 2002

Brangwayna Morgan replied to my statement
 >> The only time it gets a name and a
"period-style" designation, would be
if I was entering it as part of an A&S.<<

>See, this is one of the reasons I don't like
>A&S competitions.  You are the second or
>third person to say this recently - that the
>only reason to provide documentation with
>anything (or to stick precisely to period
>instructions or techniques for something)
>is if you are entering it in a competition.

   No.  That's not what I said. I said that I would give MY OWN
CREATION a "period-style" designation and a "period-style name" IF I
entered it in a competition. This is what I did in the case I was
describing.
  IF I'm serving it to friends, or for a potluck, I wouldn't give it a
fancy title, nor would I state that it was period; I WOULD say that it
was NOT period, but that it was MY re-creation of a period dish or
however I chose to create it.  At no time would I tell anyone that it
was an authentic, really-for-truly period dish.
  If it was from someone else's redaction or as close to the original
instruction set as *I*could make it, then I WOULD have documentation
for it, even if it's just the name of the recipe/book I worked out of,
which I would give/tell to anyone who was interested. Likewise ANY info
that was requested about my food, mundane, period or store-bought.

>What about those of us who don't enter or
>usually even go to competitions?
I didn't enter just to compete, I entered because it's something I
think I can do, and I'd like to learn to do it better. This particular
event was a learning and doing event, where the entrants stay with
their entries and answer questions which are asked, not only by the
judges, but by everyone who attends, if they wish. Also, the event was
sponsored by my Barony, and was less than 30 min away. I think that I'd
be a pretty poor member if I didn't help out.

>I might eat your recipe at a potluck and like
>to know what culture and source it came
>from.  I would certainly like to know
>whether it is from a period source or
>whather it's in a period style or if you just
>threw together what you had on hand.
Ask me.  I don't always know what I'm doing when I cook from medieval
sources - I'm still learning; but I'm willing to share what little I
know, and will gladly tell you what I did and how and why I did it. YOU
can tell ME if you think I did something wrong, and I'll add that to my
store of knowledge.

> People who know nothing about period cookery may well
>assume that it is period if you don't tell them otherwise.
If they assume an unlabled, un-named potluck dish is period, I am
sorry, but it's not my fault. If I give it a name/label/etc. then it IS
my fault, but I don't do that.

>Also, my personal reason for being in the
>society, and the thing that makes it fun for
>me, is trying to get everything as close to
>accurate as I possibly can.
That's an admirable goal, and I wish you well, but as I haven't yet
settled into a persona, it's not an option for me.
 I started as an archer who likes to feed people, so I've branched out
into learning about as much medieval cookery as I can. I've joined the
cook's guild in my barony, and would join the Kingdom one if there was
such a thing.  The Cook's List is a wonderful resource, both for food
and Society information.
 I'm still pretty new to the SCA (3 years) and am attempting to learn
all I can about any skills which interest me.

> Making a quick lunch to take to an event?
> It's more likely to be a sturdy pie than a
>sandwich, and I won't even consider
>bringing fast food into an event hall.
Except for coffee and donuts, you'll get no arguement there :-). A
quick lunch from my basket is most often pasties or a tart (if I've
time to cook them), bread, cheese, hb eggs and sausage, with some sort
of fruit - fresh or dried. Usually far more that I and my lord can eat,
I'm always willing to share - I LIKE feeding people.

<snip>You see, that has a corollary to me -
>that because it's the SCA, you should never
>even have to think about authenticity unless
>you want to win awards.
Politely, horsepuckey <s>

 >I think people should always think about
>authenticity and do it the authentic way (or
>at least know the authentic way, even if you
>have to make substitutions for good
>reasons) because the SCA is all about
>learning about the middle ages and
>renaissance.
Yes. We should. It is. It's also for getting together with friends to
have a good time, to cheer on others for their work, and to set and
achieve personal goals.

>How can you learn about anything if you
>blow off the authentic manner totally
>unless you are doing it for competition???
I never said I did. You seem to have assumed that from my statements. I
DO try for authentic when I can and/or need to.  I DON'T see the need
to document something that isn't period, or meant to be;  I DO see a
need to if it is, even if it's just something in my picnic basket, or
whatever I've made for dinner.
I'm sorry if we seem to be on different sides of the matter, but I
would hope it's my way of expressing  it that you object to, not my
point.

Bethra
P.S.  <G> The only thing I'm planning to blow off is the 6 inches of
snow in my driveway ;-)

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
   Barony of Stonemarche        EK