[Sca-cooks] Period Italian cooking sources

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jan 9 15:57:45 PST 2002

Master Cariadoc said:
> The earliest translated sources for Italian cooking (not counting
> Apicius) I know about are 15th century--Platina is the end of the
> century, Martino a little earlier. I think Anonimo Toscano and
> Anonimo Veneziano are earlier, but I'm not sure. Is she working from
> a secondary source that has earlier recipes?

The following is from Thomas Gloning's bibliography which can be
found in the Florilegium as:
p-Italy-food-bib   (9K) 12/ 1/99    Bibliographies on period Italian
food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/p-Italy-food-bib.html

> Grieco, A.J.: From the cookbook to the table. A Florentine table and
> Italian recipes of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. In: Du livre
> à la table. Actes du Colloque de Montreal 1990, 25-40.

> Grieco, A.J.: From the cookbook to the table. A Florentine table and
> Italian recipes of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. In: Lambert,
> C. (Dir.): Du manuscrit à la table. Montréal/ Paris 1992, 29-38.

Of course, even though these titles are in English that doesn't
mean the contents are. But the other titles in the bibliography
are not in English, so maybe these are.

I do note that Olwen originally said Florence but later loosened
this to Italian. These may have Florentine recipes though. Perhaps
you can get the relevant parts/recipes translated even if the whole
article/book is not in English.

This file also mentions various period Italian cookbooks, but
I think all of these are 15th C. and later.
fd-Italy-msg      (13K)  9/26/01    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Italy-msg.html

Stefan li Rous